Nikon is bringing some really great news for all the wildlife photographers. The Japanese brand has recently announced a new super-telephoto lens for the Nikon Z mount system. They are calling it the new NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S. Nikon already told about the development of this lens in December 2021 and now it is finally here.
The new NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S goes smoothly with full-frame/FX-format mirrorless cameras that have the Nikon Z mount system.
This new lens has a focal length of 800mm and as per Nikon, it is the highest focal length in the NIKKOR Z lens series. It is also the first time that the brand has used a PF (Phase Fresnel) lens in the NIKKOR Z lens series. Due to this, they are able to reduce the weight of this lens by about 48%. They have also reduced the length by about 16% when compared to the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR lens.
Because of the reduced weight and length, this lens becomes an ideal choice for wildlife photography especially for capturing birds in the wild. On top of that, the lightweight of the lens makes it easy to transport.
The new NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S comes from the S-Line family which means it has the best optical performance in the game. Along with the PF lens, it also has ED glass and SR lens elements. This results in minimal color bleeding which helps to capture the most realistic colors of the feathers of wild birds sitting at great distances.
The center of gravity of this lens is closer to the body, it is easy to swing the lens around without much strain on the body. This makes it ideal for capturing moving objects including airplanes and wild birds.
All of the new features and technology that come with this lens make it highly operable and the rendering process on this lens is also great. It doesn’t matter if you are a professional or a hobbyist, having this beast in your arsenal will be great.
- Users can easily extend the focal length of this lens to 1,120mm using the Z TELECONVERTER TC-1.4x. They can also use TELECONVERTER TC-2.0x to extend the focal length to 1,600mm without taking a toll on the resolution.
- Users also have the feature to extend the focal length to 1,200mm-equivalent without any teleconverter. All they have to do is set the camera’s image area to [DX (24×16)] format.
- There is an optical VR function that can generate the effect of shooting at a shutter speed of 5.0 stops. It can be paired with the Z 9 to achieve 5.5 stops using the Synchro VR activation.
- The use of STM helps in quick, accurate, and quiet AF.
- The lens comes with a fluorine coating for anti-fouling. It is also dust and drip-resistant making it suitable for wildlife photography.
- For comfortable holding, it also comes with an anti-slip rubber coating.
- There are Four L-Fn2 buttons and one L-Fn button that can be customized for various uses.
- Comes with a lens hood that has a new and better lock mechanism for easy attachment and removal.
- It comes with a Memory Recall feature that can quickly recall focus positions that can be stored in advance and can be recalled by a dedicated button on the lens.